Skip to content

Thailand Year 2

July 2, 2008

This year is off to a great start in terms of teaching, life, and ministry in Thailand, so I thought I would give an update on what I’m doing over here.

My primary ministry/vocation is being a high school English teacher at a Christian bilingual school in Nonthaburi, Thailand.  The school is called Global English School or GES, and 80% of the classes are taught in English (English, History, Math, Science, P.E., Art, Music) and the other 20% consists of Thai Language and Thai Social Studies.  Yep, these students have to learn in their second language! 

There are many challenges in this type of learning.  Let me give an example from my classes.  Many of my students have been at this school for a number of years.  Now I’m not teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) in its most basic sense.  I actually teach literature in much the same way as I would in the States.  The majority of my students can handle it; however, we sometimes get in new students from Thai schools who have almost no foundation in English.  This is an incredible challenge and one in which I don’t feel capable to handle.  The school is trying to remedy the problem by offering a lower level English class for these students, but challenges remain.

I enjoy teaching (most days) in spite of the difficulties of teaching without the foundation that an education degree would provide.  Right now in all three of my classes, we are working on developing an autobiographical piece by exploring different pieces in literature.  We are reading parts of Travels with Charlie (John Steinback), a part of Night by Elie Wiesel, and various other pieces.  They will be writing their own piece and hopefully (if I can make it happen) place them into a class compilation.

I love my students:

My Seniors

Needless to say, I’m incredibly blessed to have this experience, and returning a second year to develop relationships and express the love of Christ has been a good move. 

Blessings.

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. July 2, 2008 6:27

    A great site for ESL students is AIDtoCHILDREN.com.

    AIDtoCHILDREN.com is a dual-purpose site for building an English vocabulary and raising money for under privileged children in the most impoverished places around the world.

    Check it out at http://www.aidtochildren.com

  2. July 2, 2008 9:45

    thought I should drop you some comment, maybe new picture with beard next time:)
    or maybe goatee, it’s different,right? not sure which one I like the most;)

    your buddy~lol

  3. jonathangroover permalink*
    July 3, 2008 6:08

    Thanks for stopping in Ja! Yeah I do need to put up some pics of the beard. Maybe this weekend! 🙂

    And yes, a gotee is very different!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: